google analytics

Monday, January 28, 2008

Oh, The Places You'll Go

Lately I feel like I've reached the point in my career where I can begin to offer advice to those who are just getting started.

I met with a young man last week to discuss his interest in marketing, and offer a critique of his resume. He seemed to be very uncertain about the experience that he already had (2 years, if you added up his 1 year of internships plus 1-year of work experience). Plus he didn't know how to position himself on his resume, so he fell into the trap of including EVERYTHING in hopes that something would jump out at me.


It was crammed so full of info, that I couldn't make sense of it. He had been told not to extend his resume long than 1 page, so reduced his point size to make it all fit. Ugh.



After a 45-minute discussion, I learned (and helped him to see) some of his strengths, and I offered numerous suggestions on how he could improve his resume.

It was an interesting exercise for me, sitting across the table. Being a teacher helps you to see what you already know.

I'm eager to see how he changes his resume, if at all.

Brenda

No comments: